Skip to content

Emergency Information

Emergency Information

If you are a study abroad or international internship student and have an emergency during the time that you are out of the country, the in-country site director will assist you, will contact the program provider, and will contact WOU's Office of Study Abroad and International Exchanges.

Emergency numbers
Office of Study Abroad and International Exchanges
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tel. 503 838-8161, FAX 503 838-8338,

If no one answers in the Study Abroad Office during business hours, call:
Western Oregon University Public Safety Office:
8 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F 503-838-8481
After 5:00 p.m. and holidays and weekends, contact 503-838-9000

After-hours emergency
Call 503 838-9000
. Ask the name of the person to whom you are speaking, then give that person the following information, speaking slowly and clearly:
Your name;
Your location (including the name of country, province, city or town, and location within the city, such as street address);
How we can contact you (telephone number, fax number, e-mail address);
A brief explanation of the problem, and the type of help you are requesting.
The Public Safety Office will contact the appropriate people for you who will be in contact with you and arrange help for you as soon as possible.

Important Links for Health, Safety, and Security
U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings
U. S. Department of State Information for Students Abroad
U.S. Department of State Information on Emergencies and Crises Abroad
U.S. Department of State Country Specific Information
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
International Travel and Health
Oregon University System Accident and Sickness Insurance
Oregon University System Accident and Sickness Claim Information

Leisure Travel Extension Plan for students traveling after their study abroad program
Student Personal Property Protector Plus

Partner and Provider Information
Western Oregon University works with a variety of partners and providers who offer study abroad programs, international internships, and service learning programs for WOU students:
AHA International/University of Oregon
BEYOND Study Abroad
Center for International Studies (CIS)
Cooperative Center for Study Abroad/Belmont University, Nashville, TN
The International Partnership for Service-Learning and Leadership
Oregon University System International Programs
School for Field Studies
SEA Semester

These partners provide health and emergency insurance for students, an in-country infrastructure, and ongoing support for students while they are in the program. Each partner has a comprehensive emergency procedures plan in place, and each provides students with health, safety, and security information.

WOU Faculty Led Programs
Rather than developing faculty led study abroad programs in-house as WOU once did, WOU's Office of Study Abroad and International Exchanges now works with several partners who have the ability to create customized programs for WOU faculty who have special expertise in a particular area of the world and who would like to develop and lead a study abroad program. This allows WOU to use existing infrastructures for risk management, to provide access to resources that faculty need while abroad, and to provide optimal health and safety provisions for students.